What Are the Differences Between SRS, FRS and BRS?
by Nataliia Vasylyna | December 31, 2015 7:44 am
The specialists from software development and software testing company perform their duties according to the several types of requirement specifications. The documentation simplifies the checking and development processes, for example, Agile methodology.
One can have some difficulties in distinguishing between the types of requirement specification. In software testing field, these types are SRS, FRS and BRS. It may seem that these specifications are similar, but it is not really so.
How to Differentiate the Specification Types?
- SRS means software requirement specification; FRS – functional requirement specification; BRS – business requirement specification.
- Occupied sphere. SRS concerns the resources which the performing company provides. The client formulates the requirements in the form of FRS. It is obvious that BRS is the specification of the business processes and operations.
- Included use case. SRS describes the interaction between the developed system and end users. That is why use cases are included into this specification type. FRS, as well as BRS, has nothing common with use cases.
- A system analyst is responsible for SRS creation, while developers – for FRS. BRS is a duty of a business analyst.
- SRS describes the peculiarities of the developed system. All requirements to the product functionality are specified in FRS. The business requirements are defined in BRS.
All mentioned specifications provide an effective cooperation between the specialists involved in the system production. They define what software checking type – either functional testing or system testing – should be performed. The testers themselves decide whether it would be automated testing or manual one.
- What Is SRS (Software Requirements Spec)?
- How to Test without Specification
- 6 Basic Criteria For Testing Requirements
- Agile: http://qatestlab.com/resources/knowledge-center/agile-projects-testing/
- SRS: http://qatestlab.com/resources/knowledge-center/sample-deliverables/software-requirements-specification/
- What Is SRS (Software Requirements Spec)?: http://blog.qatestlab.com/2017/03/28/software-requirements-specification/
- How to Test without Specification: http://blog.qatestlab.com/2017/10/19/test-without-specification/
- 6 Basic Criteria For Testing Requirements: http://blog.qatestlab.com/2011/05/07/6-basic-criteria-for-testing-requirements/
Source URL: http://blog.qatestlab.com/2015/12/31/srs-frs-brs/
Copyright ©2018 Independent Testing – QATestLab