Usability of Web and Mobile Apps: Simple Principles to Go By
by Nataliia Vasylyna | April 27, 2016 8:46 am
The users of mobile and web applications would always prefer efficient and easy-to-use apps over entangled and annoying ones.
No wonder that user experience is an important aspect for a software testing company.
What Principles Allow Delivering Apps with Better Usability?
- Testers and layout designers should put themselves in the shoes of a customer. There is always a temptation to create a fancy frontend, but a clean interface is typically much more satisfying for customers.
- Mobile and web customers should be able to use an app intuitively, without having to read a lot of documentation.
- Navigation, especially for mobile products, should be simple and one-level.
- Small screens of mobile apps simply cannot display long menu item names without cutting them off. That is why all names should be short but understandable.
- Each menu item should be located under a corresponding category where it can be easily found by users.
- The search feature needs to provide users with relevant results, not just a set of random data.
Perhaps, usability is not as vital as, for example, security of applications. However, users may not even get to the security-related features if they simply don’t like how an app looks.
All in all, both mobile testing and website testing cannot go without full-fledged usability testing.
- 10 Basic Usability Testing Principles
- How to Make Usability Testing More Effective?
- GUI Testing vs Usability Testing
- Deceptive Opinion on Usability Testing
- What to Rely on during Usability Testing?
- mobile testing: http://mobile.qatestlab.com/
- usability testing: http://qatestlab.com/services/We-Are-Professionals-in/usability-testing/
- 10 Basic Usability Testing Principles: http://blog.qatestlab.com/2016/10/07/usability-testing-principles/
- How to Make Usability Testing More Effective?: http://blog.qatestlab.com/2016/09/15/usability-testing-effective/
- GUI Testing vs Usability Testing: http://blog.qatestlab.com/2015/10/21/gui-usability-testing/
- Deceptive Opinion on Usability Testing: http://blog.qatestlab.com/2015/08/11/deceptive-usability-testing/
- What to Rely on during Usability Testing?: http://blog.qatestlab.com/2014/11/25/on-what-should-one-rely-performing-usability-testing/
Source URL: http://blog.qatestlab.com/2016/04/27/checking-usability-principles/
Copyright ©2019 Independent Testing – QATestLab