After performing software testing, reporting bugs and their fix regression testing should be executed. Its aim is to find defects of the software after code modifications or the product release. Besides, software testing company checks whether the application’s new version is better than the previous one.
Tips on how to perform effective regression testing:
- Perform all existing tests once again. After the product release software testers have to check problem areas once again. Sometimes it can be a huge challenge, especially when it comes to executing manual testing.
- Run tests with high priority first. About 40% of time spent on regression testing should be devoted to repeating tests which concern important functionality of the application.
- Check complicated features of the software. Many applications have sophisticated parts which can cause problems. Usually, functionality of such areas is complex, but quality of their work must be excellent.
- Conduct exploratory testing – simultaneous learning of the software, tests design and their execution. In course of this testing new bugs can be detected.
- Reduce time and efforts spent on running tests with help of automated testing. Using automation scripts it is possible to perform tests much quicker and in more effective way.
- Perform random testing. When all test cases are covered, it is recommended to spend some time on random testing. A software tester can suppose how a potential user will interact with the application, there is almost always something that was missed.
Usually, regression testing is one of the obligatory parts of software development process, since even small changes in code can lead to deplorable consequences.