What is glass box testing?
by Nataliia Vasylyna | September 5, 2011 10:00 am
Black-box and glass-box are test design techniques. Black-box test doesn’t use information about the internal structure in full. Black-box test is known as focusing on functional requirements testing.
Glass-box test allows peeking inside the “box”, and it focuses especially on using internal knowledge of the software product. You should know that these techniques are used at the time of the test design stage, and their impact is difficult to see in the tests once they’re implemented.
Glass Box Testing Definition
Software testing approaches that investigate the program structure and get test data from the program logic.
Structural testing is sometimes mentioned to as clear-box testing since white boxes are considered opaque and do not really permit visibility into the code.
Glass-box testing is also called:
- Clear Box testing
- Structural testing
- Open Box Testing
- White Box testing
Benefits of Glass Box Testing:
- reveals defects in “hidden” code
- beneficent side-effects
- approximates the partitioning done by execution equivalence
- forces test developer to reason carefully about implementation
Shortcomings of Glass Box Testing:
- miss cases omitted in the code
Intermix of Glass-box and Black-box
In practice we have such approaches:
- program executes differently under two inputs with same specs
- program executes two inputs the same which have different specs
- Alpha Testing vs Beta Testing
- ‘Rainbow’ Box Testing
- What Box to Choose: Black, White or Grey?
- Black-Box Testing vs White-Box Testing
- What Is The Difference Between White Box, Black Box And Gray Box Testing?
- Black-box: https://qatestlab.com/resources/knowledge-center/black-box-testing/
- Alpha Testing vs Beta Testing: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2017/03/10/alpha-beta-testing/
- ‘Rainbow’ Box Testing: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2016/12/28/rainbow-box-testing/
- What Box to Choose: Black, White or Grey?: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2016/09/13/black-white-grey/
- Black-Box Testing vs White-Box Testing: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2012/01/16/black-box-testing-white-box-testing-what-is-the-same-and-what-is-different/
- What Is The Difference Between White Box, Black Box And Gray Box Testing?: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2011/11/21/what-is-the-difference-between-white-box-black-box-and-gray-box-testing/
Source URL: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2011/09/05/glass-box-testing-definition/
Copyright ©2019 QATestLab Blog