Types of Software Automation
by Nataliia Vasylyna | November 6, 2012 10:00 am
A software testing company performs various types of software testing, one of which is automated testing. There are several types of automation that you may face.
Software Automation Types:
- At the first stages of project development, software developers can provide software testers with a list of interfaces with their expected outputs. At this stage, development and testing may closely connect or even overlap. That means that scripts created by developers will help the testers to verify the basic functionality and vice versa, if in the process of software testing basic verification scripts are created, they should be given to the developers for code check.
- At later stages of product development, automation will closely relate to the functionality. The automation will usually take little time to write and maintain, however it will not be able to test the software layout. But display and layout are those parts that can easily be checked by software testers, so automated testing is not a necessity here.
- Later on the automation will most likely be written for localization testing in order to check the localized product versions.
- When all the components are developed, it is type to check the layout from build to build.
- Over-automatization is something you should avoid as it can lead to problems with maintenance and higher project cost.
- Other types of automation focus on the performance measurements. Here belong performance testing, scalability, and stress testing.
The most important part of any type of software testing (and automated testing is not an exception) is verification of something. But remember, verifying that any response is received is not productive, since the response may contain an error. What is more important is to check whether the response contains the string that you are looking for.
To know more about web automation, watch our webinar “Automation of web testing: when the game is worth the candle“.
Learn more from QATestLab
- Test Automation: When Focus Is Not on Quantity
- Automate or not Automate – That Is the Question!
- Software Test Automation: Problems and Tips
- performance testing: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2018/04/17/testing-system-bottlenecks/
- Automation of web testing: when the game is worth the candle: https://qatestlab.com/resources/webinars/automation-of-web-testing/
- Test Automation: When Focus Is Not on Quantity: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2016/07/11/test-automation-focus/
- Automate or not Automate – That Is the Question!: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2017/02/16/automation-principle-approach/
- Software Test Automation: Problems and Tips: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2017/01/04/automation-problems-tips/
Source URL: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2012/11/06/types-of-software-automation/
Copyright ©2021 QATestLab Blog unless otherwise noted.