Performance Testing: Practical Tips from the Field
by Nataliia Vasylyna | June 29, 2016 7:26 am
When a software tester has to perform performance testing or load testing for the first time, he often feels confused and clueless.
The aspects of these types of testing may be surprising for those who were previously engaged only in functional testing. Unlike them, testers with background experience in test automation may have some knowledge on executing load tests. Luckily, experienced performance testers are always willing to share practical tips they learned over the years.
What Are the Best Recommendations for Performance Testers?
- Performance problems often arise from software, not hardware. In many cases, improving hardware will not really help to solve such problems.
- Developers and administrators can provide valuable information on how to properly test performance. Do nоt be afraid to ask.
- Explore the system under test and be ready to handle dozens of unexpected situations.
- Be flexible and prepared to make multiple corrections to the testing process.
- Create performance test scripts bit by bit, not all at once. There is always a chance that an application could be changed at any time. If that happens, a big part of these scripts may become irrelevant.
- Use (but not overuse!) such tools as load generators, caching tools, load balancing instruments. If a bug is found by such tools, be sure to properly investigate and report it.
- Make the results of performance testing understandable to colleagues and customers.
Most of these tips were learned the hard way. Use them to avoid unnecessary mistakes.
Learn more from QATestLab
- 9 Steps to Fulfil Performance Testing
- Simulating the Reality during Performance Testing
- 4 Main Constituents of Performance Testing
- load testing: https://qatestlab.com/services/withstand-the-load/load-testing/
- functional testing: https://qatestlab.com/services/We-Are-Professionals-in/functional-testing/
- performance testing: https://qatestlab.com/services/Withstand-the-Load/performance-testing/
- 9 Steps to Fulfil Performance Testing: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2016/12/02/fulfil-performance-testing/
- Simulating the Reality during Performance Testing: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2016/07/05/simulation-performance-testing/
- 4 Main Constituents of Performance Testing: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2015/07/22/constituents-performance-testing/
Source URL: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2016/06/29/performance-testing-tips/
Copyright ©2021 QATestLab Blog unless otherwise noted.