Test Data: Handle It like It’s Precious
by Nataliia Vasylyna | July 13, 2016 1:27 pm
Test data is used by every software tester. For example, it can be a set of fake data prepared by testers to check the expected behavior of the software or to stress the software with invalid data input.
No matter the purpose, test data should be managed rationally. In a software testing company, it is difficult to provide an effective software product testing process without an adequate test data management plan.
How to Operate Test Data?
- Strive to use test data that covers the maximum part of the testing scope.
- During website testing or desktop application testing, use static data instead of live data. If static data was used in previous test cases, a specialist will already know the expected results and be able to bypass privacy issues.
- If a tester is using the same test data for different tests, be aware that the data can be modified in previously executed test cases. That is why it is important to specify the order of test cases execution and make sure that the data is unaffected.
- Reset test data after every release.
- If tester has any workaround solutions that allow you not to input actual data, he should carefully collect and describe them. This can be useful if the software is to be further tested by another team.
Although test data management may seem to be non-essential, it will certainly influence the testing process. It is up to tester whether it will be in a good or a bad way.
Learn more from QATestLab
- 5 Tips to Build Effective Test Data Strategy
- The Range of the Most Basic Test Data
- Familiarity With Testing Data
- software : https://qatestlab.com/services/We-Are-Professionals-in/software-product-testing/
- product testing: https://qatestlab.com/services/We-Are-Professionals-in/software-product-testing/
- website testing: https://qatestlab.com/expertise/types-of-applications/web-application-testing/
- desktop application testing: https://qatestlab.com/expertise/types-of-applications/desktop-application-testing/
- 5 Tips to Build Effective Test Data Strategy: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2016/04/12/test-data-strategy/
- The Range of the Most Basic Test Data: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2015/08/04/basic-test-data/
- Familiarity With Testing Data: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2015/08/03/familiarity-testing-data/
Source URL: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2016/07/13/handle-test-data/
Copyright ©2021 QATestLab Blog unless otherwise noted.