3 Levels of Testing Automation
by Nataliia Vasylyna | August 19, 2015 10:51 am
Software testing company employees know that the application under test can be conditionally divided into 3 levels – Unit Tests Layer, Functional Tests Layer (Non-UI) and GUI Tests Layer.
To ensure the best quality product, professionals recommend the use of automated testing elements, which can be applied to all the above mentioned levels.
Test Automation Strategy Based on a Three-Level Model:
- The level of unit testing (Unit Test layer) – at this level automated tests are the component or unit tests designed by developers. Testers can also write such tests, if they have the necessary skills. Similar tests in the early stages of the project, as well as their constant actualization and the addition by new tests, checking the “bug fixes”, can help to protect the project from the many serious problems.
- The level of functional testing (Functional Test Layer non-UI) – unfortunately, not all the application’s business logic can be tested using the GUI layer. This could be a feature of implementation, which hides the business logic from the user. Access directly to the functional layer, which gives the opportunity to test the business logic of the application directly bypassing the user interface, is provided for the testing team only in agreement with the developers.
- The level of the user interface testing (GUI Test Layer) – at this level, it is possible to test not only the user interface, but also the functionality by performing the operation causing the business logic of the application. This kind of cross-cutting tests provides a greater effect than just testing the functional layer, as it is necessary to perform functional testing by emulating the end-user operations through a graphical interface.
- What projects need test automation
- Test Automation in Agile Environment
- Books for Learning Test Automation
- Automate or not Automate – That Is the Question!
- Software Test Automation: Problems and Tips
- automated testing: https://qatestlab.com/services/We-Are-Professionals-in/automated-testing/
- functional testing: https://qatestlab.com/services/We-Are-Professionals-in/functional-testing/
- user interface testing: https://qatestlab.com/services/We-Are-Professionals-in/User-Interface-Testing/
- What projects need test automation: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2018/06/12/when-automate-testing/
- Test Automation in Agile Environment: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2018/04/10/automated-agile-testing/
- Books for Learning Test Automation: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2017/03/16/test-automation-books/
- Automate or not Automate – That Is the Question!: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2017/02/16/automation-principle-approach/
- Software Test Automation: Problems and Tips: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2017/01/04/automation-problems-tips/
Source URL: https://blog.qatestlab.com/2015/08/19/levels-testing-automation/
Copyright ©2019 QATestLab Blog